Well, here goes another couple months worth of pictures. Since my last post, we had a couple birthdays, a birthday trip, and a bunch of cousin time.
Tyler turned 5 in March, and was he ever excited. He had a birthday countdown going on. All he wanted was a blue cake that was strawberry flavored. Easy enough. I can’t remember the exact recipe, but I made one from scratch that was fantastic. And then topped it with some fake blue frosting with all kinds of crap in it. It was delicious.
Just prior to his birthday, we had another milestone- Tyler lost his first tooth. It fell out at lunch at school one day while he was eating a Cheezit. And he cried about it most of the day apparently. He didn’t want to lose a tooth. Then the tooth fairy came and all was ok again.
Over the Easter weekend, we continued our tradition of traveling to SE Iowa to see my brother Jake and his wife Mollie. Their house is just beautiful, and huge, which helps when you have 15 people staying there at once. The weather could have been a little nicer, but we still were able to get out and hunt for some Easter eggs. The girls went on a nice little shopping trip for Aunt Katy’s birthday, and even Jenna got to go. The boys were happy because Jake had the double TV setup for the NCAA tournament, which ended up being a huge bummer because both Kansas and ISU lost that weekend. The kids also decorated a nice bunny cake to celebrate Easter and my mom’s birthday that same day.
I celebrated my 35th birthday in April, and instead of stressing out about it, we took off to Phoenix. It was our first vacation in at least 5 years that was not related to a wedding or some other event that we had to attend. Our friend Logan from Kansas met us down there and we stayed with our friends Dru and Amber. The weather was just perfect, even though I was a big baby and was cold all the time at night. Which wasn’t my fault, because Dru kept sending me pictures of the temperature, and it would say 100 or 101 so I figured I would be fine in tank tops and shorts. Turns out it cools down a little at night. It was just a fantastic trip. We got to eat at some great restaurants, had some glorious cocktails, and did some hiking. It was a nice little getaway, and just what I needed. Since I’ve been back I have just felt more content and at peace and relaxed. It made me realize that maybe we need to make the effort to get away a little more often than once every 5 years.
Over the last couple months we have had lots of cousin play time of course. These kids just live for the days they get to see their cousins. Just this weekend we saw them Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And both Saturday and Sunday mornings, at least one of my kids has cried because their cousins weren’t there in the mornings when they woke up. It’s pretty heart-warming to see them form these special bonds, not only with their cousins, but with their aunts and uncles. And for me, a mom of a peanut allergy kid, it’s easy to get stressed out when Tyler isn’t with me, but I know when he’s with anyone in our family, I am completely at ease because I know he’s safe because they know him so well and care for him so much.
Tyler and Jenna are (90% of the time) the best of friends. The other 10%, not so much. They sure know how to push each other’s buttons. I hope they continue to have a close relationship throughout the years.
This Mother’s Day weekend has been pretty perfect, except having to work on charts and other work stuff yesterday for about 7 hours. I came home from a very long busy day at work on Friday to a vase full of flowers, 3 cards and 2 presents for Mother’s Day. I have a pretty amazing husband and two very special kiddos. Sometimes I don’t know how I got so lucky.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms and special ladies out there- a special shout-out to my mom. When you have kids, I swear your heart grows and multiplies so much more than you ever thought possible, and you love those little boogers so deeply and intensely that you would do anything for them. And then I think about how my mom must have felt that feeling about me and my brothers, and maybe still does, and maybe thinks that about my kids now. To stop and think about that makes me feel pretty blessed. And it makes me think that I probably owe her a lot more hugs.
Have a great summer everyone!