I told you I’d have a recipe for you!
Today I had to give another talk about workplace wellness. One of the things I always talk about and stress is how I try to be healthy 80% of the time and then the other 20% I indulge a little.
Last night was the 20% part.
Yesterday I was good for breakfast (raspberry Chobani) and lunch- a spinach salad with some leftover rotisserie chicken that we picked up Tuesday night, sliced almonds, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and sesame ginger dressing.
Yesterday in the office was kind of like a normal Monday… non-stop in the office. When I got home and looked at my huge stack of notes, I decided I was in need of something salty and easy before tackling them.
We cooked up some chicken fajita mix from Fareway- lots of peppers and onions.
As an appetizer I made some cheese dip. Instead of going all out and making my fancy kind, I just threw half a stick of Queso Blanco and a can of hot Rotel in a glass dish and microwaved it.
It went well with my new patriotic tortilla chips.
And Coronas with lime, if you didn’t happen to notice there…
We made some burritos with the chicken mixture, adding spinach, black beans and cheese dip. Apparently I was preoccupied because I didn’t take a picture of that.
Today we woke up to some chilly temps. And a light rain! It was a great morning to sleep in, if only Tyler didn’t wake us up with his explosive diarrhea. Poor guy, he just has some bug that has caused diarrhea the last two days. He’s eating still and acting fine, so we’re not too worried. We’re just always on bath alert. “Uh oh… get the bath ready!”
Hubby made breakfast today, one of his favs. I think he had this often in his childhood or something, but he just LOVES these Sara Lee coffee cakes. I had never even heard of them before I married him. They would also fit in the 20% category, but just remember portions people! I only had 2 small pieces and shared with Tyler. Hubby had 4.
Just some random snacks this morning and for lunch, and for supper I cut up two semi-frozen chicken breasts and added some of this to my mini-crock pot:
It made the kitchen smell like an Indian restaurant. Yummmm…..
I cooked up some white basmati rice to go with it. It was fantastic. We love Indian food, and for coming out of a can, this was pretty darn good. Thanks Target.
So now for the recipe. I wanted to bring a healthy snack to the presentation today, so I decided on Homemade Granola Bars. It was too cool for smoothies, which were my first choice.
Homemade granola is awesome, because you can just add whatever you have on hand. The possibilities are endless… this is just what I used.
Homemade Granola Bars (adapted from Turtle Woman)
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sesame seed
- 1 cup combined of chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pure honey
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil (can use butter)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries (optional: other chopped dried fruits or dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the rolled oats, sesame seed, and almonds. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Toast for about 15-30 minutes until golden. Be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- In a large bowl, put vanilla, honey, coconut oil and brown sugar. Microwave for 1 minute until it slightly boils and the sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine sea salt, coconut, flax seed meal, cinnamon, and dried cranberries.
- When the oat mixture is finished toasting, add it to the coconut mixture and stir.
- Add honey mixture and stir.
- Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with waxed paper (or spray with Pam). Spread the mixture in the baking pan and press to create a smooth surface. Place another piece of waxed paper (saran paper works fine too) on top and press down tightly until it’s even.
- Place pan in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to cool completely. Use a knife to cut into bars.
I think they went over well. Or maybe they were just being nice when they told me they were good.
Just got back from softball, chalking up another one in the win category.
I’ll leave you a picture of what our naughty little boy did today. He must have found a snag in the window he always sits by, and somehow worked it into a little hole today. And then shoved his spoon out of it. Think we’re in trouble with this little guy…